why to have a blog of my own ? I am struggling to figure out the answer.Till I have one, here are some of my direction less thoughts .....

Monday, August 25, 2008

Tourism in Northeast ?

We are living in a world of wonderful irony. It is more appropriate when I think of my home state Assam. The separatist movements in the entire Northeastern region are been there for a long time and nothing has been done effectively to address the issues concerning the movements. When I said nothing is being done, I am not only talking about the apathy of Central Government at Delhi but also about the ill functioning governance in the State. In fact blaming Central Government and Migrants from Bangladesh seem to be our favorite shield to cover the poor performance of state in all aspects. I am not sure how we can blame others for rampant corruption in state machinery, poor productivity of manpower and nonexistent public services. Of course Prime Minister Manmohan Singh can’t do much about the frequent Assam Bandh called by anybody and everybody in the state. The central government or the state government can’t do much about the mode of protest that is “Bandh”. In last couple of weeks, we are celebrating the migration issue once again. It seems all the political bodies are concerned with this issue and they believe that if we stop all the economic activities for a day or two than the migrant will vanish from the state. So we have a series of “Assam Bandh” in last couple of weeks. And in this scenario, “The Assam Tribune” publishes an article on potential of tourism in Northeast !! What an irony.

1 comment:

pranabk said...

Exactly, passing the blame seems to be an excuse we had been using for too long. For everything that's not right we are prompt to put the blame on Center's apathy. The recent spurt of bandhs is just another example of how apathetic we are to ourselves. Who are affected most by these bandhs after all, if not us?

There is indeed much for potential tourism in Assam, but when I myself am worried about getting caught in a bandh each time I have to go home (in fact, the last time I was going home I got stranded midway because of a bandh) how can I recommend others to visit.

But again, we are living far way these days, and there is a possibility that whatever we say will be brushed off with a what-do-you-know attitude. We are almost outsiders now.